Whey Protein: The Most Effective Protein
Whey Protein is the by-product (liquid part), it obtain during the manufacturing process of cheese. The whey protein powder comprises all nine essential amino acids. Regular consumption of protein supplements increases body strength, stamina, muscle gain process, and post-workout recovery. Whey protein powder supplements are easy to digest and can be readily absorbed by the body.
Types of Whey Protein:
As per nutrients requirement, Whey protein supplements are of three types:
Whey Protein Isolate:
Whey protein isolate consists of about 90% of protein. With enough processing of whey, we make it free of lactose, carbs, and fats. Thus, we get the iso whey protein. Some of the best whey protein isolate supplements from brands like MuscleBlaze, Ultimate Nutrition, etc.. The best part about the Isolate supplement is that it is quickly absorbable and provide all the essential nutrients required for the body.
Whey Protein Concentrate:
The whey protein concentrate type of protein powder supplement contains about 70% to 80% protein. Whey concentrate also contains a good amount of lactose, carbs and fats.
Whey Protein Hydrolysate:
The hydrolyzed whey protein supplements are the pure form of whey protein and have the highest absorption rate. Hydrolysate whey protein contains about 90% proteins. Some of the best hydro includes ON hydrolyzed whey protein and Muscle Blaze whey hydro protein powder.
Among these three types, you can choose any type according to your fitness goals to make a tasty and healthy whey protein shake.
Composition of Whey Protein Powder
Milk is a source of whey protein. Cow’s milk contains two types of protein: one is casein which comprises about 80% and the other one is whey which is about 20%. Originally whey is in a liquid state, which consists of protein, vitamins and minerals, fat, carbohydrates and lactose. By filtering and processing, we finally get it in powdered form. Now it contains a high amount of protein, vitamins and nutrients. Also low amounts of lactose, fat and carbs.
This protein present in whey is a mixture of bovine serum albumin (~8%) , alpha-lactalbumin (~25%), beta-lactoglobulin (~65%), and immunoglobulins.
Health Benefits of Whey Protein Powder
However whey protein has plenty of benefits, let’s have a closer look at some of the whey protein benefits:
- Effect of whey protein on muscle growth: One can use whey for muscle building as it helps in building body mass and bulk up your muscles giving you a strong and muscular body. Optimum Nutrition whey protein and Muscle Blaze whey supplements are some of the best-known supplements for muscle building and strengthening.
- Effect of whey protein on health: High-quality protein supplements from top brands like Muscle Blaze, ON, GNC, Dymatize or As-It-Is whey protein are a rich source of antioxidants. Therefore, it enhances your immunity and protects you from diseases and infections. Regular intake of protein benefits those suffering from obesity and associated problems.
- Effect of whey protein on muscle recovery: Since these supplements ensure rapid repair of damaged muscles during workouts and strenuous exercises, one can choose whey supplements for muscle growth. Whey supplements like MuscleBlaze, ON, GNC, Dymatize, MuscleTech whey protein, etc. are ideal for athletes, sportspersons, and bodybuilders.
- Effect of whey protein for lean body: Protein supplements can counter food cravings by keeping you full for longer. It also increases your metabolism rate so you can choose whey powders for weight loss.
Though Whey protein supplements have very few side effects, let’s point them out. When you consume a poor quality supplement, more than the recommended dosages, or have any medical conditions, you face whey protein side effects.
Side Effects Of Whey Protein
Some side effects of whey protein due to its high dosage are:
- Bloating, cramps, nausea, thirst, reduced appetite, tiredness, and headache.
- In absence of a good amount of training, you can face unhealthy weight gain.
- If you are lactose intolerant, you can face allergic reactions.
Who Should Use Whey Proteins?
Whey supplements consumption has a lot of benefits and especially if you are into fitness, these supplements are a must for you. There are a lot of brands that sell good quality protein powders that are highly effective in enhancing your fitness. If you are looking for all these benefits, you should use whey protein.
Whey Protein Supplement for Muscle Building
- Whey supplements are easy to digest.
- Contains a lot of nutrients that help in muscle building.
- Whey powders are with a high amount of amino acid leucine.
- Aids in muscle-protein-synthesis.
- Protein supplements also help in fast recovery of muscles.
- Good for muscle building as these are very low in fat, sugar, and carbs.
- No unwanted or bad calories.
Whey Protein Supplement for Muscle Recovery
After a strenuous workout session, our body needs a lot of nourishments to cope up with the wear and tear of muscles. Most of the whey powders contain BCAA and glutamine, which helps in the rapid recovery of muscles after a workout session.
Whey Protein Supplement for Weight Loss
Whey protein supplements contain a higher amount of protein and less amount of carbs or fats which can aid in weight loss. There are a lot of protein powders for men and women that help in weight management. Formula made by keeping in mind the body types of both genders. Whey powders promote weight loss by suppressing your appetite. So, you can choose protein powder for weight loss without any second thought. Here, you can find a lot of whey protein brands online for weight loss also available in the market like GNC protein, Muscle Blaze Whey, Dymatize Whey, Muscle Pharm Whey etc. Whey supplements promote weight loss by suppressing your appetite, thus reducing the amount of extra calorie intake.
Whey Protein Powder Supplements Dosages
Kick start your fitness regime with two heaped scoops of whey supplement every day. This excellent protein supplement will help in keeping your muscles well nourished. To make protein shake, mix the protein rich whey powder with either water or skimmed milk. After that shake it well in a blender to avoid any lumps. You can also use almond milk to make a protein shake.
The amount of whey powder that you have to consume depends on your workout and protein goals:
- Athlete or a highly active individual requires about 1.2 to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.
- Bodybuilder requires about 1.4 to 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight
- Regular gym-goer, who isn’t into hardcore weight lifting can consume 0.14–0.23 grams of protein per kg of body weight.
Gender Wise Dosage
- Male (Adult) might require about 1.5 to 1.7 g of protein per kilogram of body weight
- Female (Adult) might require 1.2 to 1.4 g of protein per kilogram of body weight.
How to Take Dosage
You should first read the instructions mentioned on the pack of whey supplements, as different brands have different instruction sets. However, in general, you can take 1 to 2 scoops of protein powder and mix them well with a glass of water or skimmed milk to make a protein shake. You can have it after 30 mins of a strenuous workout session. If not a shake then you can use whey at home for making various delicious recipes like cookies, cakes and a lot more.
Why Is Whey Protein Better than Other Proteins?
As whey protein is a byproduct of milk, it consists of all the nutrients and benefits that a whole milk has. Milk consists of two types of protein one is casein and another is whey protein. Casein also consists of all the nutrients that whey protein has but it is slow digesting protein. So, for fast absorption, you need to have whey protein. Whey Protein contains all the nutrients like amino acids, some vitamin B complex vitamins, and others what whey protein contains. So, almost in every manner, whey protein is better than other protein.